Here are some terms and definitions from Marxist theory that are helpful in literary analysis:
- Commodity – any material good or product that can be bought, sold, or exchanged
- Materialism – a focus on obtaining commodities as a way to fulfillment
- Bourgeoisie – the upper class in a capitalist society
- Proletariat – the lower/working class in a capitalist society
- Class consciousness – when the proletariat becomes aware of their position in society
- Class struggle – when the bourgeoisie takes advantage of the proletariat and the proletariat lashes out
If you’re interested in these terms or more information about Marxist theory, check out PurdueOwl:
Brizee, Allen, J. Case Tompkins, Libby Chernouski, and Elizabeth Boyle. “Marxist Criticism (1930s-present)” The Purdue OWL Family of Sites. The Writing Lab and OWL at Purdue and Purdue U, 21 April 2010. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/722/05/ Accessed 7 March 2017.
The wordcloud was generated with the help of www.wordclouds.com.